This is part two in the Umar Series. Here I’ll be focusing on the distinctions of the great Caliph of Islam, Umar ibn Al-Khattab. As I think the Umar series by MBC didn’t cover all of these points explicitly.
Hadhrat Umar was a man of many distinctions. A study of his life shows that in many respects, if you haven’t read the life of Umar you may want to take a look at the Umar series T.V show.
He certainly had the unique distinction of being the first or foremost.He was unique in his power of discrimination. The Prophet (saw) gave him the title of al-Farooq. He had the unique distinction of having his views confirmed by the Quran. Umar’s (ra) superiority over his contemporaries was acknowledged when the Prophet (saw) said:
“if there was to be a prophet after him it would have been Umar.”
Below you’ll find a list of matters on which Umar (ra) was the foremost.
- Umar was the first Muslim ruler to set up the public treasury.
- He was the first Muslim ruler to establish the courts of justice and appoint judges.
- He was the first Muslim ruler to set up the Army Department and assign regular salaries to the men in the armed forces.
- Umar was the first to create army reserves.
- He established the land revenue department for the first time.
- He was the first ruler under whom the survey and assessment work of lands was undertaken.
- He was the first Muslim ruler to take a census.
- Umar was the first to strike coins.
- He was the first to dig canals.
- He was the first ruler to found cities.
- He also divided the country into provinces and provinces into districts.
- He imposed the custom duty for the first time.
- He was the first to set up jails.
- He was the first to organise the Police department.
- Umar was the first among the Muslim rulers to set up Military centres and Military cantonments at strategic points.
- He established the Cavalry, he set up stables at strategic points and created the distinction of pedigree and non-pedigree horses.
- He established guest houses in all cities.
- Umar (ra) was the one to set up the rest houses on the road from Medina to Makkah for the comfort of travellers.
- He provided for the care and upbringing of foundlings.
- He established schools throughout the country and allowed liberal salaries to the school teachers.
- He was the first who instituted the prayers of Taraweeh in congregation in the month of Ramadan.
- He was the first to formulate the principle of Qiyas.
- He had inserted “Prayer is better than sleep” inserted in the morning Adhaan (Call to prayer).
- He was the first to provide light in the mosques at night.
- He was the first to provide salaries for Imams and Muaddhins
- He was the first to punish for writing satires and lampoons.
- Umar was the first to prohibit the mention of women’s names in poem lyrics, an ancient custom in Arabia.
- He was the first to inflict 80 stripes for indulgence in wine.
- He was the first to set up trusts.
Of course this isn’t an exhaustive list of the distinctions of Umar but I think there are enough?
Perhaps you’ll like the Quotes of Umar ibn al-Khattab