The Premier League season this year 2017-18 is set to top the all-time transfer records, with huge fees being paid. And muslim football players are no exception to it!
There has already been a few new muslim footballers transferred in, last year Paul Pogba was bought in by Manchester United for a record fee, we’ll take a look at how much and how many new muslim players have joined the Premier League for this season.
Because the season has just started and the summer transfer window remains open till the end of August, there is a possibility of new players still arriving right up until the end of this month including Muslim ones too, I hope! I’ll update the list once the transfers are finalised at the beginning of September.
As we always do every season we’ll go through each club and list all the muslim football players that are representing their clubs in the Premier League, and relevant information such as transfer fee, transferred from/to and any other notes for each player.
We created our first list of the players way back in 2012 and since then we’ve been the first to always publish the excellent list of Muslim Footballers twice every year to date with the exception of last year. So we’ve come a long way and with the help of organisations such as The AMF and other trusted sources we’re able to compile verified lists’ of Muslim Football Players. So a big shout out to those guys!
Premier League squad and player profile data primarily from the Premier League website.
- Asmir Begovic, 30. The Bosnian national goalkeeper moved from Chelsea FC for an undisclosed fee.
- Lewis Grabban, 29. The English forward has joined Sunderland F.C for a season long loan.
- Shkodran Mustafi, 25. This is his second season at Arsenal for the German defender having signed from Valencia last summer.
- Sead Kolasinac, 24. Bosnian international defender joined from Schalke (scored on his debut in the Community Shield).
- Mesut Özil, the 28-year-old midfielder is on his last year of his contract at Arsenal.
- Mohamed Elneny, 25. Third year for the Egyptian midfielder.
- Granit Xhaka, 24. Swiss midfielder he is the brother of Taulant who plays for the Albanian national side.
Muslim Football Players in Chelsea F.C
- N’Golo Kanté, 26. The French versatile midfielder was voted the FA Players’ Player of the Year last year. He also performed Umrah this year.
- Abdul Rahman Baba, 23. Ghanaian international midfielder.
- Tiemoue Bakayoko, 22-year-old French international striker signed from AS Monaco.
- Antonio Rudiger, 24-year-old German defender also from AS Monaco.
Chelsea have four players who are Muslim in their squad, with Begovic moving to Bournemouth and Kurt Zouma moving to Stoke on loan (see below), Bertrand Traore completing his transfer to Lyon in France.
- Bakary Sako, 29 is a Malian international he plays in the midfield position.
- Idrissa Gueye, 27-year-old Senegalese international midfielder.
- Muhamed Bešić, 24. Bosnian international midfielder. Having made no appearances last season let’s see how he performs this year.
- Oumar Niasse, 27 also Senegalese like his team-mate Idrissa. Oumar plays up front as a forward.
- Shani Tarashaj, 22. Swiss forward spent last season on loan on Frankfurt.
Leicester City F.C
- Yohan Benalouane, 30. Tunisian international defender who spent last season on loan at Italian club Fiorentina.
- Riyad Mahrez, 26. Algerian midfielder who is being linked with moves away from Leicester city.
- Islam Slimani, 29-year-old Algerian striker.
- Ahmed Musa, 24. Nigerian international forward.
- Mamadou Sakho, 27 the French defender spent the entire last season on loan to Crystal Palace, his future is uncertain and is likely to move to another club before the window closes.
- Sadio Mane, 25. Senegalese midfielder.
- Emre Can, 23. German international of Turkish descent.
- Mohamed Salah, 25. The Egyptian midfielder who joined LFC this season from Roma.
Manchester City F.C
- Abdul-Nasir Oluwatosin (Tosin) Adarabioyo, 19-year-old English defender broke into the first team squad from their academy.
- İlkay Gündoğan, 26 German midfielder.
- Samir Nasri, 30 French midfielder.
- Yaya Touré, 34 Ivory Coast international midfielder.
- Benjamin Mendy, 23 French international defender.
Bacary Sagna has been released and is no longer with Manchester City.
- Paul Pogba, 24 French midfielder who was the record-breaking signing last season. Also was in Umrah during Ramadan.
- Marouane Fellaini, 29. Belgian international midfielder.
Adnan Januzaj has left Man UTD for an undisclosed fee to Real Sociedad.
The Premier League newcomers have a few muslim football players in their midst.
- Achraf Lazaar, 25-year-old Moroccan international defender.
- Massadio Haidara, 24. French defender of Senegalese descent.
- Mohamed Diamé, 30 Senegalese midfielder who moved from Hull City.
- Yasin Ben El-Mhanni, 21 midfielder. Recently in the news for rushing to help the survivors of the Grenfell tower tradegy.
- Sofiane Boufal, 23. Moroccan international midfielder.
Stoke City F.C
- Kurt Zouma, 22. French defender on loan from Chelsea F.C.
- Ibrahim Afellay, 31-year-old Dutch midfielder.
- Xherdan Shaqiri, 25. Swiss international midfield position.
- Ramadan Sobhi, 20. Egyptian midfielder.
- Mama Biram Diouf, 29. Senegalese forward was recently pictured performing Umrah.
Bruno Martins Indi was on loan from Porto and has now returned. Mohamed El Ouriachi is in the under 23 squad.
- Moussa Sissoko, 27. French international midfielder.
- Moussa Dembélé, 30-year-old Belgian midfielder.
- Nabeel Bentaleb moved permanently to Schalke.
- Younes Kaboul, 31. French defender.
- Nordin Amrabat, 30-year-old Moroccan midfielder.
- Abdoulaye Doucouré, 24. French midfielder.
- Valon Behrami, 32. Swiss Midfielder.
Essaid Belkalem and Adlene Guedioura have both left the club.
West Bromwich Albion
- Ahmed Hegazi, 26-year-old Egyptian defender has joined on loan from Al-Ahly.
- Nacer Chadli, 28. Belgian midfielder.
West Ham United
- Sofiane Feghouli, 27. Algerian international midfielder.
- Cheikhou Kouyate, 27. Senegalese international midfielder.
- André Ayew, 27-year-old Ghanaian international midfielder. Brother of Jordan Ayew who is also Muslim.
Currently there are 53 Muslim football players in the Premier League, with the transfer window still open there is still a few chances of more incoming as well as a few leaving too.
On a separate note: there were a few articles published by some newspapers that claimed Romelu Lukaku was a Muslim and because of his Muslim faith he wasn’t able to handle alcohol, this has since been proven wrong and they have since apologized for their shabby journalism!
This blog post is dedicated to:
To our brothers, Cheick Tioté who returned to Allah earlier this year (May Allah grant him Jannah) and Abdelhak Nouri, who is in hospital in a coma.
And finally here’s my 11 just made of Muslim footballers in the Premier League, do you agree?