I was recently reading a book called the Diseases of the heart and their cures and it contained a lot of quotes of Ibn Taymiyyah. So I though why not add them here so that you guys can read the quotes and share with others.
As usual like the other Islamic quotes posts I’ve included a lot of inspiring sayings of Ibn Taymiyyah and I hope it can motivate us to act on it and have more Taqwa.
If you are interested in reading some Islamic Books then go ahead and check out this post on 5 good Islamic books to read online.
Sayings of Ibn Taymiyyah about Taqwa
- Every punishment from Him is pure justice and every blessing from Him is pure grace.
- Whoever desires everlasting bliss, let him adhere firmly to the threshold of servitude.
- The Lord loves to be loved.
- Guidance is not attained except with knowledge and correct direction is not attained except with patience.
- In this world there is a paradise, whoever does not enter it will not enter the Paradise of the Hereafter.
- The one who is [truly] imprisoned is the one whose heart is imprisoned from Allah and the captivated one is the one whose desires have enslaved him.
Quotes of ibn Taymiyyah about truth:
- This whole religion revolves around knowing the truth and acting by it, and action must be accompanied by patience.
- Worship is founded upon the Legal Law and following it, not upon ones base desires and innovation.
- If you do not taste the sweetness of an action in your heart, suspect it, for the Lord, Exalted is He, is the Appreciative.
- The more the servant loves his Master, the less will he love other objects and they will decrease in number The less the servant loves his Master, the more will he love other objects and they will increase in number.
His sayings about Tawhid and blessings:
- Perpetually is the servant either the recipient of a blessing from Allah; in which case he is need of gratitude; or he is the perpetrator of a sin, in which case he is in need of repentance; he is always moving from one blessing to another and is always in need of repentance.
- Sins cause harm and repentance removes the cause.
- Bearing witness to tawhid opens the door of good and repentance from sins closes the door of evil.
- The jihad against the soul is the foundation for the Jihad against the disbelievers and hypocrites.
- A man will never fear something besides Allah unless it be due to a disease in his heart.
- Trials and tribulation are like feeling the heat and cold, when one knows that they cannot be avoided, he will not feel anger at their onset, nor will he be distressed or dis heartened.
- The perfection of tawhid is found when there remains nothing in the heart except Allah, the servant is left loving those He loves and what He loves, hating those He hates and what He hates, showing allegiance to those He has allegiance to, showing enmity to those He shows enmity towards, ordering what He orders and prohibiting what He prohibits.
- The objective of asceticism is to leave all that harms the servants Hereafter and the objective of worship is to do all that will benefit his Hereafter.
- Sins are like chains and locks preventing their perpetrator from roaming the vast garden of tawhid and reaping the fruits of righteous actions.
Ibn Taymiyyah’s Sayings about being imprisoned:
What can my enemies do to me? I have in my breast both my heaven and my garden. If I travel they are with me, never leaving me. Imprisonment for me is a chance to be alone with my Lord. To be killed is martyrdom and to be exiled from my land is a spiritual journey.
“In this world, man finds in the remembrance of Allah, praising Him and worshipping Him, a delight that is in comparable to anything else.”
These sayings of the great Imam ibn Taymiyyah were collected from various sources including, Majmu Al Fatawa, Ibn al-Qayyim, Ibn Rajab and al-Bazzar.
Hopefully you loved these quotes, please leave a comment and let me know how you found it. There are more inspirational Islamic quotes for you to read.